Wednesday, January 4, 2012

crispy potato hash + fried egg + a piece of mind



It's official. I'm the worst blogger in the entire blogsphere.

Okay, maybe not, but it's 24 degrees in Washington today and the bitter chill is making me dramatic.

The subtext here is that there's no excuse for me to have radio silence for five months and then post about crunchy fried potatoes and fried eggs like everything's okay. I doubt anyone's even reading this blog anyway, as I probably lost any followers within the first month of zero posts. But I digress.

You may think the date of this post has some sort of significance, being the beginning of January and everything, but I'm not one of those New Year's resolutioners. Seriously, I'm not. I don't promise myself that I'll stop swearing or learn a new language or eat more celery sticks just because it's a tradition of a day that really shouldn't even be called a holiday. But again, I digress.

I'm getting back into blogging because I now realize how important it is to do the things that make you happy. When I decided to keep a blog while studying in Rome last year, I first dreaded uploading my pictures and thinking up something witty to accompany it. It always seemed like such a chore and something that only my family and friends back home would appreciate.

But I consider myself a writer, and I'm always looking for new challenges when it comes to my writing. Up until then I would always roll my eyes when my journalism professors rambled on and on about the difference between writing for print and writing online. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I would mumble to myself, checking my cell phone every three minutes in the hopes that class would be over and they'd stop babbling. But blogging has become one of the most creatively challenging things I've ever done, and that includes making homemade bath salts for my unappreciative friends in middle school.

I'll echo what I said in my first post: I'm blogging because I love it and will stop as soon as it becomes an obligation. I'm hoping that this little slice of the Internet can be a journal, an inspiration board, and a saving grace I can escape to when real life just doesn't cut it (or won't cut it out). I hope to gain readers and followers one day, but it's really not all that important; I've just added things that make me happy to my list of priorities.

And no, that was not a New Year's resolution.


Potato Hash + Fried Egg

This is a dish I made quite often while I was studying in Rome last spring (the picture above was actually taken in my tiny Italian kitchen). I was constantly craving homey comfort food - which is kind of awkward considering I ate pasta almost every night - so these homefries quickly became a staple in my breakfast routine. I usually gave myself a lot of time to cook the potatoes, as I don't like to boil them before put them in the pan. Depending on how small the cubes are and how hot the skillet is, I would guess this dish takes about 20 minutes.

1 large egg
7 yellow fingerling potatoes (or baby Yukon golds, whichever you prefer)
fresh butter
salt + pepper

Wash and cube the potatoes, as small or as large as you'd like (I keep mine at about the size of a cheese square). Drop several pats of butter into a hot skillet, followed by the cubed potatoes. You'll need to add more butter as the potatoes cook in order to get that delicious crunchiness around the edges! Top it off with a fried egg (runny's even better) and voila! A fattening breakfast that will put you in a food coma by 10:30 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment